A New Trend in Travel: What’s Glamping All About?

Made famous on shows like the Real Housewives of Orange County, glamping is the latest craze when it comes to “roughing it” on vacation. If you love to gaze at the stars and roast marshmallows around the campfire – without having to brave the elements – glamping, i.e. the glamorous version of camping, may be right up your alley.

www.pawsup.com

Although glamping is frowned upon by die-hard campers who often hit the trail without so much as a tent, glamping may be ideal for a girls’ weekend on a budget if you can’t afford a luxurious hotel or four-star resort.

According to The New York Times, glamping is a newer trend to hit the US and Europe, but it’s been popular in Thailand and Africa for quite some time. Some hip hideaways in England, for example, now provide guests with a complete glamping experience, where they only need to bring towels, bedding, and food; all other amenities are provided. Guests stay in teepees lit with lanterns that include basic items like a cooler, kitchen utensils, and a camping stove.

If you’re ready to go glamping on your own to save money on your summer vacation, look for a glamping-friendly campsite that will provide some of the finer things to make your outdoor experience much more bearable. That way, all you’ll need are few folding chairs to set up around the fire, where you can enjoy a flame-roasted meal before you head off to bed indoors.

This entry was posted in Outdoors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A New Trend in Travel: What’s Glamping All About?

1. Eduardo says:

I know a group of people who are die hard campers because they grew up in the boy scouts and they are at their very essence outdoors persons. They love to camp and cook with fires. I myself, do not care for braving the outdoor conditions. I guess I am just a pampered city person – and proud of it. However, I have studied and developed survival skills and I am well equipped with gear for that.

2. Charles says:

Wow that is awesome now if they could figure out how to pump air conditioning into the tent like the one in the picture that would be right up my alley. I hate camping mainly because of the heat and the bugs so if glamping is anything like that picture count me in. Where are these glamping sites located? Is there and in the mountains somewhere?

3. Santiago says:

The folding chairs in this photo look pretty rustic and stylish. I would buy some for my outdoor patio. They would match the dcor very well. I have seen these style of folding chairs bought by real estate investors (house flippers) when the renovate the front or back yards of a property. They are great for parties where you’ll need lots of accommodations for the guests. Best of all, you don’t have to worry about staining wood.

4. Sue says:

This is amazing I really can’t believe that they have done this. I mean it sounds like a great idea because you get the best of both worlds but really isn’t it a little farfetched. I mean really this is a little crazy when you think about it. Sleeping outdoors in a real bed, I guess could be pretty cool but I would have to think about that for awhile.

5. Warren says:

Where are these glamp sites at? I think my husband will think I’ve lost it but I thought I would look into it and see if I thought it was something he might like. This was a very interesting article and I am looking forward to more from you. Very unique idea I have to admit but the more I think about it the more I like it as well.

6. Daniel says:

It seems that Mathew McGauhnohy has been given credit for sparking the glamping’ trend, even though we know that is not entirely true. But in a recent interview with Extra, it was reported that his recent wedding included a 72 hour stay for all his guests in luxury tents at his estate. The tents were air conditioned and came with 24 hour butler service. Now that’s what I call glamping at the highest level of luxury.

7. Patti says:

Wow that is almost like Swiss Family Robinson, you get stranded on an island and come up with something like this. If I could have the luxuries of my home while I am out camping then what would be the point? Go camping if that is what you want to do but don’t go this far and look like a fool.

8. Jack says:

Glamping is something that to me makes absolutely no sense. If you have to have those kinds of things then you are not someone that likes to be outside in the first place so why bother trying? I admit I used to like camping and being outdoors when I was a kid but as an adult, not so much. I hate the heat and camping is usually in the summer.

9. Cory says:

That looks like something the Beverly Hills Housewives would do. I love the tent that is around the furniture in the picture but I would like to have it to actually go camping with. Is this something that you bought or did you make it? If you made it I’d really appreciate it if you could give us the pattern or instruction in doing so? If you bought it can you tell us where from?