Can parties and health really go hand-in-hand? If you plan your party menu in advance, you can provide your guests with healthy options in favorite party hors d’oeuvres, like:
- Hummus: Hummus is delicious and high in fiber. Bonus points if it’s served with vegetables! Hummus is a great dip to have on plastic folding tables at a party as an alternative to queso or creamy spinach dip.
- Shrimp Cocktail: Shrimp are naturally delicious and also happen to be low in calories. Even better, you can eat shrimp without a high-calorie dip with just a squeeze of lemon and a side of cocktail sauce.
- Smoked Salmon: Smoked salmon atop a whole-wheat cracker is simply divine and screams luxury at a cocktail party. Make sure to serve it with lemon juice and capers instead of fatty cream cheese.
Now that you know exactly what it takes to plan a healthy party menu, here are several appetizers to avoid that will only pack on the pounds:
- Any food wrapped in bacon.
- Any food stuffed with cheese.
- Meatballs simmering in a savory sauce.
- Mixed nuts.
- Mini pastries, cookies, tarts, or quiches.
- Pigs in a blanket or any item wrapped in a puff pastry.
- Spinach-artichoke dip or any other cream-based or cheese dip.